Monday, January 3, 2011

Nikil -- In Saudi ????

I had always been asked this
 " why are u working in Saudi "
 " why Saudi "
" its not a free country "
" why not Dubai , Bahrain , Kuwait "    blah blah blah ...

well , i decided to make this my second blog ....

here is the story , about less than 3 years ago while I was working in India  , I decided that my boss is an A** , he does not pay me on time , I get half my salary on one day and the rest on another ,
so I decided .. heck with him , and threw my resumes on every door of many companies....

Got a call from a company who wanted a sales & marketing guy from  Bahrain , They said that the position is for Saudi Arabia ....  My first thought was , hmmmm Saudi ???  I heard that is a strict country with strict laws, less freedom .... On the other the money is gooood , :)  and I can go to Bahrain easily ( The country where I spend most of my life )

after days of thinking I made my decision .... I decided to give it a try and why not ... I have stayed in two different countries and this is chance to be in the third , plus  I can get good forgein experience in my resume.

Thus , Finally ...  I signed the offer from the company & send   my Good byes to my old boss .. within 3 weeks I reached Saudi Arabia .... My first thoughts was the weather was too hot , I got adjusted with my collugues , the new place soon ..


I have experienced alot in this new places ...
The negative points were :
The law is strict if you are guilty of murder, rape or drugs, could even mean hanging ..
No cinemas ( but we can rent a  DVD ) , no drinks ,
I found this odd and strange .... but now , i am kinda ok with it  ( details will be told personally from me if u wanna know )
Driving here is horrible cos of the crazy drivers out there


The plus points
Good money , Huge savings , cos there is less to spend on
Huge learning possibilities & experience in terms of work , I personally deal and meet with clients from all over the world - China , Korea, US , Europe, Japan etc etc over here  !  learnt alot  since I have alots of responsibilities , I have a chance to expand my self  .
Good standard of living , cos of my work / job ... I have been to many many cities , eaten in the best 3 , 5 & 7 star places , stayed in good hotels , got a good company car , great flat , the best of everything
Saudi is actually beautiful, I have seen beautiful mountains , went sand bashing on a SUV in  the deserts , seen nice wildlife and birds , some of this nature is actually not seen any where else in the world .


End of the day , well yeah this is not like Bangalore , Mumbai , Dubai etc , but hey every country is different , after the crisis , most companies in India and aboard were  sacking people expect in Saudi , In fact at that time I actually got a raise ..  there are tons of things to do here and have fun ....

The main question --- Was coming down here in Saudi really worth it , I say " Oh Yeah !!!!! "
Will I continue to be here in Saudi , another common question -- Well, no idea , Lets see what destiny has in store ....

1 comment:

  1. yaa, same like my story , but it started 8 month ago , an d still I donot adjust with this environment n work culture, some people are very crazy ,specially Ezy...n it was my personal experience with them , I always miss my friends here , -----Long working hour with no holidays -neither Xmas nor new year party - no excitement---some time I think to run away -
    the only think i got here is that I did Umrah. which is difficult for middle class people like me from India

    ReplyDelete